This crispy, crunchy, and extremely refreshing coleslaw recipe features a very under-utilized vegetable found in almost every large American grocery store‘s produce section – I’m talking about jicama.
In fact, there’s a good chance you’ve never had it, which is a shame. The flavor is very mild, and subtly sweet. It’s just perfect for raw salads like this coleslaw, and blends wonderfully with the tart apple and crunchy cabbage.
One problem with jicama is how it’s marketed. As you’ll see in the video, the label described it as, “a Mexican potato,” which is just a terrible comparison. If you want to make something sound unappetizing to an American, have them think they are going to be eating something that’s like a raw potato. Yum.
Jicama does have a similar texture to a raw potato, but that’s where that comparison ends. It is a little starchy, but pleasantly so, and each bite produces a mini explosion of juicy goodness. So, don’t be afraid! I hope you buy some jicama on your next trip to the market, and give this easy side dish recipe a try soon. Enjoy!
Apple Jicama Coleslaw Ingredients:
1/2 small green cabbage, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
1/2 jicama, sliced into 1/4-inch strips on a vegetable slicer
1 large Fuji apple, sliced into 1/4-inch strips on a vegetable slicer
For the dressing:
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp sugar
hot sauce to taste
salt to taste
1/3 cup crushed corn nuts
- My Favorite Coleslaw (simplycooking.wordpress.com)
- Adding Cuban flair (mysanantonio.com)
- Crunchy Rainbow Coleslaw Recipe (rawlivingfoods.typepad.com)
- yesterday in food (cathweber.blogspot.com)
- Salad Recipe: Wakame, Cucumber, and Jicama (thekitchn.com)
- Raw Veggies on the Sly (aka Fight Free Rads and Be Happy About It, Kids) (mamastephf.com)
- Salad of grilled nopal with carrot, jícama and beet wins recipe contest (cookinginmexico.com)
- I Ate Kale (whatotherpeopledo.wordpress.com)
- Sticky Orange Cake, Za’atar Popcorn, & Mushroom Risotto This Week’s Recipes (thekitchn.com)
- 5 Classic Vegetarian Cookbooks for Green Family Meals (ecochildsplay.com)
- Yummy Coleslaw Recipe ! (babybubu.wordpress.com)
- imabonehead: Tandoori Chicken with Mango Curry Slaw (acommunaltable.com)
- Announcements Galore: Seminars, Retreats, Cookbooks, Free Stuff and More (marksdailyapple.com)